We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Coursera is one of the most popular online education providers. However, their pricing structures can be a little complicated.
In this article, we’ll look at how Coursera pricing works and answer some of the frequently asked questions around Coursera’s pricing options.
How Does Coursera Pricing Work?
Coursera pricing depends a lot on the type of program you buy. For example, there are some free courses available, which obviously don’t cost anything. Along with that though, there are three main types of course.
- A single course: The single course a one-off payment you make to Coursera to take an individual course. These courses are usually around $100 but could be more or less expensive depending on the course you take.
- A Specialization: Which is a series of courses all around one core topic. You pay a flat monthly fee until you cancel your Specialization subscription.
- A degree: Some institutes even offer a full degree or masters on Coursera. Obviously, with that comes a higher cost. You’ll be looking at around $15,000 to $25,000 to complete a degree on Coursera.
Does Coursera Charge Per Course?
The most common type of payment on Coursera is for an individual course. These payments are a one-off and give you access to the course once enrolment is open. These one-off courses are around $100 each.
Coursera Specialization Cost
When you sign up for a specialization you pay on a monthly basis. Basically, a Specialization is a series of courses based around one core topic. These offers are usually between $39 to $89 per month, with no long-term commitment required.
When you subscribe to a Specialization, you get access to every course at once and pay your monthly fee while your subscription is active.
How Much is Coursera Subscription?
While Coursera’s most popular option is paying on a course-by-course basis, they do have a membership subscription called Coursera Plus which costs around $400 a year.
With Coursera Plus, you get unlimited access to around 90% of the courses on offer with Coursera.
So, if you’re an avid Coursera user (or intend on being one), then you’ll save a lot of money with the subscription model.
There’s a huge list of colleges and educational institutes that you can access through Coursera Plus.
Is Coursera Free For Students?
There are some free courses available on Coursera. However, most of the courses do cost money to complete. Although, Coursera does offer financial aid and scholarships to those who need it. If you’re accepted, then your course fee is waived.
If you’re not lucky enough to get a scholarship, consider this. The courses you learn on Coursera might help you land a job. In which case the course would pay for itself.
I discuss this more in my article “Can Coursera Get You A Job?“.
What About Coursera Financial Aid?
If you cannot afford to pay for a Coursera course (not a degree or Specialization), you can apply for financial aid. To apply for Financial Aid or a Scholarship, do the following:
- Access the course page of the course you want to apply for.
- Next to the information about registering, there’s a link to
- Click the link then fill out and submit your application. You need to make sure your application is over 150 words too. Otherwise, it won’t be accepted.
- Wait up to fifteen days for the application to be reviewed.
- When your application is reviewed, you’ll get an email letting you know whether it’s been approved or denied.
If you want to know more about Coursera, try the following: